Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014.

A Hammer & Heels - 2014.

Happy New Year! 2013 started out rough and I am a little glad it's finally over. What was supposed to be a great internship experience in January, actually ended up being a miserable 5 months. I hate to say that the internship was a bad experience, because really, I learned a lot about myself and what I wanted for a career. Sometimes it takes a few bumps in the road to really find what you are looking for. Although the internship ended up being everything I DIDN'T want in a career, and left me feeling uninspired and clueless as what to do next, I'm glad I had that experience to realize it wasn't for me before it was too late. Say, like after graduation.

During those 5 months it was a time of lots of positive and negatives. It only took 2 weeks to discover the job wasn't for me. Unfortunately (or fortunately, however you look at it) I couldn't quit, so I stuck it out and ended up doing tons of research in hopes of discovering what it is I wanted to do for. I realized the one thing I was missing most was creativity. That's when I started reading blogs, and eventually started my own.

This blog has lead me to some amazing things and great people. At the beginning of 2013, I wanted to work for a big business in the marketing department and now I have done a complete 180 turn and want to work for a small business or agency and freelance. I wouldn't have it any other way!

With graduation in May, moving, and starting a full-time job, 2014 will be full of change. I have no idea what's in store, but I'm certainly excited for it. Rather than coming up meaningless resolutions that I forget about by February, I love the idea of "identifying just one word, as an overarching theme for the entire year." My theme for this year is "clarity." Whether it's clarity for which full-time job offer to accept, or clarity for the direction of this blog, that's something I have to figure out.

Have you tried this simplified version of new year's resolutions? Did it help you stay focused?

Image via

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...