Monday, July 21, 2014

The Best Conversation Starter

book shelf styling

My inbox is flooded with e-mail subscriptions. I love getting mail, and with so many talented business women/entrepreneurs/creatives out there with newsletters, I always subscribe so I don't miss a thing. I get everything from marketing tips to networking advice to how to manage finances. While emails do take time to filter through (right now I have about 40 unread!), I always come away with a little nugget of new information. The other day I was reading Kate Northrup's e-mail where she shared a story about her and a friend at a launch party. Kate's friend came up to her with the best conversation starter I've heard yet, "What are you most excited about right now?" We've all been to events where the very first question out of everyone's mouth is, "What do you do?" Though an important networking question (let's be honest),  I love the idea of starting a conversation with something a little more personal, less business. You know, so you can actually get to know the person. You might even catch the person off guard (in a good way)!

acrylic ponytail wrap

black and white room

As I was reading Kate's e-mail, I started thinking about what's going on in my life that I'm most excited about. This summer has been such an experience. I'm glad I had the chance to live in California and experience a fast-paced big city. Visiting is fun, but you never get the chance to fully immerse yourself in a city until you've stayed for a couple months. While I've adjusted quite easily, I do miss a few things about home. Ample parking being one of them. In August my boyfriend is finally making his way out West and visiting for the first time. I'm excited for a fun trip to Lake Tahoe and hanging out like we're used to. What are you most excited about right now?

Try asking someone next time you strike up a conversation!

The new LPF Magazine is out and I'm in it (along with some other blogger friends :)) The issue is full of fun summer ideas, an inspiring weight loss story, and my tips for decorating on a budget. Read it here.

travel

12 / 3 / 4



5 comments:

  1. That's such a good probing question! Let's hope I can remember it next time I'm in a networking situation :) I love how the LPFMag turned out, your photos are amazing.

    26 and Not Counting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should make a note of it in my phone so I don't forget to ask! Your LPFMag story was incredible, thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  2. What a great tidbit! I think it would feel a little weird to ask this the first few times, but I'm definitely going to try it! It will make a much more meaningful connection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally -- it shows you are genuinely interested! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...