Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Make It: Marble Tray

Hammer & Heels: DIY Marble Tray





Hammer & Heels: DIY Marble Tray

Go ahead and file this DIY under "smallest effort, biggest impact." For all DIY novices out there, this one is for you. Break out your gluing skills from elementary school because that's all this little wonder takes! Despite the fact that this DIY is foolproof, it's seriously a favorite because 1) it's marble 2) I love trays. Basically every room in your house should have a tray! They keep things looking neat and organized by keeping items "in place." Like, say, on your coffee table. Your stack of books, trinkets, TV remote, coasters, and other things are scattered across your coffee table looking a little messy. Just by arranging those items in a tray, your coffee table looks put together and intentional. 

If you want to see how I did it, read on for the full tutorial.



Supplies:
Kitchen knobs of your choosing - Home Depot, $16 for two
Marble tile - Home Depot, $4
Gorilla glue - Home Depot
Gold spray paint - Home Depot, $4
Total $24

Home Depot had a couple different options for marble tiles. I originally saw the Carrara Marble which was a little thinner slab and shaped as a rectangle instead of a square. The tile I chose is Calacatta Marble. Calacatta is known for having more dramatic veining, and when using just one slab, I wanted the marbling to be more noticeable. If you want to get technical and read up on the differences between Carrara and Calaccatta, Houzz did an entire article. It doesn't matter which you choose, just go with the one you like best!


Step 1
Spray paint your knobs! Gold makes me happy, and gold combined with marble makes me even happier. In store, Home Depot's knob selection was a little sparse. There were few knobs that were big enough for the size of tile I was using, and the gold options were even slimmer. I decided on the modern knobs because they were substantial enough to work with the thick marble tile. They were spendy, but definitely achieved the look I was going for. I gave my knobs 3 coats of paint, letting them completely dry in between coats. Always use thin layers of paint to avoid drips.



Step 2
Measure the placement for the knobs. I took an old fashioned ruler and measured the knobs so they were placed in the center of the tile. Mark the spot with a pencil.




Step 3
Glue your knobs in place. Drop enough glue to cover the bottom of the knob and press on the tile. Use your ruler to double check your placement is even.

Not too bad, right? I would also suggest gluing felt to the bottom of your tile so you don't scratch your furniture. After coming home from the craft store I realized I didn't have the felt on hand like I thought I did. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Also, the newest issue of La Petite Fashionista Magazine came out yesterday and I love the story on a fun bridal shower and a cute lemonade bar with delicious recipes! You can read my article on how to build your dream closet (while doing a little spring cleaning) here. I hope you like it!

Hammer & Heels: DIY Marble Tray



18 comments:

  1. Beyond excited for this! An easy DIY that is also beautiful - love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will look good anywhere in your home, too! ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness - I cannot wait to go to Home Depot! {I have never said that in my entire life.}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hay day in there -- it's dangerous! :)

      Delete
  3. I am so excited to try this Amanda! It turned out great and would make super cute gifts too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SO simple, yet so amazing. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love simple projects that look great :)

      Delete
  5. Love it! I think this is even something I can handle ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm SO impressed. I've been searching for the perfect tray for my apartment for months! What a beautiful (and easy!) DIY!

    thewinkblog.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it!! It's totally customizable to fit your home :)

      Delete
  7. This is amazing!! I need to try this!

    Kelly

    www.asparkleaffair.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing!! Love it, so simple, so luxe looking!

    Lindsay xx,
    www.fatfreefashion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why I love it so much! So simple yet pretty.

      Delete
  9. Love love love this idea! What size knobs did you use? I noticed on HD's website they have different lengths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't remember the exact measurements of the knobs I used, I was in store and just tested out different knobs until I found the one I liked! I wanted the longer handles, so I would guess they are about 8 inches. Hope this helps!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...